Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On Fidelity

The Latin words semper fidelis are inscribed permanently across my back to remind me that faithfulness, loyalty, and fidelity are the backbone of my character.  To forsake these attributes is to forsake everything I hold dear in life.  The words semper fidelis (always faithful) are also the motto of the United States Marine Corps, an organization I was once proud to be a part of.  I got my tattoo when I was very new to the Corps, it was intended to have both the meaning I mentioned previously and to illustrate the big part of my life that was the Marine Corps.


Semper Fidelis became the motto of the U.S. Marine Corps in 1883; it is an important part of Marine tradition and culture.  To many of us it is more than a motto, it is a way of life.  It means that we will always be loyal to each other, that we will protect and honor fellow Marines on and off the battlefield.  There are some of us who still believe in the ideals of brotherhood.  Always faithful, words that every person should live by.


Yet so few do...


During my time as a Marine I saw those sacred words disgraced constantly; turns out the brotherhood isn't so faithful, definitely not always. Marines debase the words with their actions by turning on their brothers or cheating on their wives; I have never witnessed so much infidelity as when I lived on a military base.  Not only are the words disgraced by actions they have become a joke to many, who use them sarcastically.  I saw the words lose their meaning as they are changed into cheesy slogans on signs around bases such as "semper fit" or "semper safe", it disgusted me.


Another disgusting trend I saw was the word "infidel" displayed with pride on bumper stickers, clothing, even tattoos.  The word that literally means "lacking faithfulness" is being proudly brandished by Marines while their motto "always faithful" is being disgraced!  The idea is absolutely revolting to me!  Honor, courage, and commitment cannot be forgotten: Always faithful cannot die.  We must adhere to these ideals in our daily lives, not only in the military but in all walks of life.

The importance of the abasement of these principles is that it signifies a culture apathetic to morality and trust.  The trend of using the word infidel as a symbol suggests a trend of ignorance of the culture of the land in which they fight or an apathetic 'I don't care who I kill' attitude.  I have experienced both of these and both are common within the military.  It is a very careless thing to fight in a place you know little about, for reasons you do not clearly understand; and the apathetic attitude will more than likely come back to haunt you. 

Dishonoring these ideals isn't only a problem within the military it is problem in our society as a whole.  Americans become increasingly materialistic, greedy, and dishonest and the importance of values is minimized continually.  In letting this go on we are allowing the fires that will destroy our country to be fueled.  It's time to take a deep look inside and find out what is truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment